Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Acute Pain of Personal Rejection


"And the Lord said to Samuel, 'Heed the voice of the people in all that they say to you; for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them.'"
1 Samuel 8:7

It was a tragic time in the life of the nation of Israel, as the elders of the land demanded an earthly king. They boldly declared that they wanted to be like all the other nations that surrounded them. It is truly a sad testimony whenever the people of faith have a desire to be like the people of the world. As Samuel tearfully brought this request to the Lord, he was told that this was not a reflection upon him as a prophet, nor as a judge, but was a clear statement of personal rejection rooted in a greater problem. The people had rejected the wisdom, counsel and leadership of Samuel, because the people had rejected God. Samuel was not the first to experience this pain, as Moses encountered the sting of rejection. David also knew about rejection, first from Saul, and later from within his own family. Likewise, Jeremiah and Amos, two Old Testament prophets, were rejected men. And, of course, Jesus knew the deep pain of this malicious reality. The Bible says, "He was despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him."

Rejection is an awful word that produces agonizing wounds. It carries with it a harsh stigma that is extremely difficult, and nearly impossible, to overcome. A child rejected by his or her parents. A wife rejected by her husband, or a husband rejected by his wife. An individual rejected by their community. A worker rejected by their peers. And within the body of Christ, we often realize that the acute pain of personal rejection is not limited to the testimonies of those whose lives are portrayed in the word of God.

In my thirty years of gospel ministry, I too have faced and experienced the pain of rejection. Memories surface from time to time that remind me that the path of obedience has not always been easy. As the Lord faithfully opened doors for me to proclaim His word, I soon discovered that others were working to spread malicious lies and unfounded rumors against my personal character, and my scriptural beliefs, in order to damage, or perhaps destroy, my ministry. I would often laugh at such foolishness, until I discovered that some friends were being swayed to believe these baseless attacks. At one time I was in an area of service that still had strong pockets of racial division and prejudice in the lives of people, politicians, and even pastors. Preaching a message that God's grace is mighty to save no matter the place nor the race of an individual, caused a label to be placed upon me that was less than ideal. I remember being in those places where pastors would foolishly share the latest "n----r" jokes in order to raise my ire and judge my reactions. One particular time an ugly racist joke was told IN THE PULPIT, and then the preacher looked down at me and said, "What do you think about that, Brother Charles?" I wanted to get up immediately and leave as I felt my face flushed with anger, but I had been invited to preach the primary message before lunch by the host pastor. I was nearly in shock by this sinful and horrible display of hate and stupidity. When we later had a short break, I quietly left without saying anything to anyone. I don't know what happened after my departure, but I was told that I was the invisible recipient of many crude comments. Up until then, I counted that very influential pastor of a large church as a good friend, but our relationship eroded to a nonexistent level after that unpleasant event.

At other times my boldness in the pulpit caused my peers to turn against me. I was labeled a pulpit agitator by some who disliked both my style and my substance. A beloved associational missionary told me of an interesting phone call that he received from our state convention concerning my future. Some statistical information had garnered their attention concerning our church's growth, and they had several questions to ask about me. He validated what they were hearing in the state office, but when they voiced concern that I was a man who "rocked the boat" and they wanted him to speak to me about becoming a bit more moderate and agreeable, he laughed and told them that they should look elsewhere for a man who could be moved and controlled by the convention. It was via this man's knowledge and experience that I learned many prominent churches would have pastors who were groomed and chosen by the power of convention politics rather than the divine working of the Spirit of God. Years later a pastor told me that he always avoided me personally and professionally after other pastors voiced negative comments about me in his presence. When I was privileged to preach at a state evangelism conference where he was in attendance, he approached me and apologized for listening to useless gossip rather than talking with me face to face concerning what he had heard.

Now I do not want to paint an ugly picture over my thirty plus years of ministry. Time and space do not allow me to reflect upon the awesome adventure that I have had in following Christ. The trips to other countries to be involved in medical evangelism, revival conferences, pastor training, and missionary retreats have been wonderful encounters of His Spirit working in my life and in the lives of those in attendance. Numerous trips to Central and South American countries, as well as to European and Asian mega-cities, and those African adventures to both large cities and small villages will always be treasures stored in my memory. Preaching in elaborate chapels with huge windows to view the surrounding majestic mountains, as well as in mud huts with thatched roofs, were all privileges of grace. I remember being in a tiny Mexican village where an ongoing feud among two church families caused most folks to stay away. The congregation consisted of the missionary couple that we were with, my own family, two very aged women, about five little boys, and three dogs. The missionary led the music, the little boys took the offering, and I was preaching when the dogs decided to liven everything up with a good fight underneath the homemade pews! Dust was flying, teeth were biting, and the women started swinging whatever they could find at the dogs, as well as the boys, as they had joined the ruckus beneath the pews. When everyone guilty of fighting had been beaten out the door, they all went home. Looking at the missionary, I said, "What should we do now?" Replying with a smile, he said, "Let's give an invitation. After all that commotion, one of our wives might need to get saved!"

Funny experiences of life, coupled with those deeply moving times of Spiritual awakening and renewal, are also cemented in my mind. It has been an incredible adventure of faith that still continues today. I will be the first to admit that I have failed in numerous ways, yet the faithfulness of our Lord has been consistently present throughout the good times, as well as the not so good. As I look toward entering my thirty-first year of gospel ministry, I readily admit that where I am now was not a part of my long-range plan. Yet the past and current circumstances of my life have not dampened my faith, nor my zeal, for serving the Lord Jesus and seeking to be a positive influence through His name in whatever capacity is open for me.

If you are one of those servants of the Lord that has also experienced the acute pain of personal rejection, I encourage you to look away from those who would sidetrack you from your faith journey, and get a fresh glimpse of the Lord Jesus Christ. I remind you again that He is the ultimate example of rejection, yet He did not allow the God-haters of His day to interfere with His accomplishing His Father's will. In fact, the rejection was an important part of God's plan for the life, and the ultimate death, of His Son. And Jesus said, "These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father, nor Me." Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment