Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Promise of Restoration


"I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten" Joel 2:25

The promises of God can be misused and abused by those who teach and believe a false gospel that has a primary focus on good health, temporal comfort and financial prosperity. The truth of God can be twisted to say whatever the wickedness of man wants it so say. That's why it's dangerous to go out on a limb when considering a promise like the one found in Joel 2:25. Looking at the context of this book of the Bible, I understand that the initial message is directed toward the people of Judah. As Joel presented a stern message of judgment to those who refused to live a repentant lifestyle, he also gives a hopeful message of restoration to those who would return to the Lord in humility and brokenness.

What a great word: restoration. When a marriage is restored, a church, a family, or a community is restored following an event that is tragic and heart rending, it is reason to celebrate and rejoice. Likewise, when a life or ministry is restored, it is also time to celebrate and rejoice. Remember the great ending in the story of the prodigal? When the oldest son refused to come to the celebration, the father said to him: "It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.” Luke 15:32

God's promise to "restore to you the years that the locust has eaten" gives me great hope for the future. I know that I cannot travel back in time to correct wrong actions and attitudes, but I can put my faith in the One who promises me restoration! I know that I cannot go to those places and preach messages to those people that I refused to go to during the past few years, but I can put my faith in the One who promises me restoration! I know that I cannot undo what's already been done, but I can put my faith in the One who promises me restoration!

A sweet promise from Heaven...RESTORATION!

Thank you for praying - God bless you!

Originally emailed on August 8,, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment