Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Patriot - The Prophecy - The Preacher


In the opening scene of The Patriot, one of my favorite movies, Benjamin Martin (Mel Gibson) says, "I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me, and the cost is more than I can bear."

Each time that I would watch that movie, I thought of my own rebellion, and wondered if my heart would be broken in similar ways that I had broken the hearts of others. The Bible says, "The Lord is longsuffering and abundant in mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He by no means clears the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation." The Bible also says, "Do not be deceived, God will not be mocked; whatever a man sows, that will he also reap." I know that some may say that my theology is somewhat off target, but it does not diminish the truth surrounding my personal fears concerning my past failures.

Following my email last week, I realized that my silence over the past few years resulted in many of you not knowing our family situation. We are still in the Starkville/Sturgis area of Mississippi, and our home became what sociologists call a multi-generational household when Apryl moved back with her boys following their birth in October of 2012. We are all still adjusting to our "new" normal, and by God's grace, we will do more than survive, we will thrive!

After preaching and writing on the "Ministry of Sorrow" and how that God uses everything in our lives to conform us into the image of His dear Son, I admit that my initial response to Micah and Eli was less than ideal. Looking back, I realize now that God was teaching me that too much of my life was still about me and my reputation, and not about Him and His glory.

This journey called life is about growing, learning and maturing, and I've got a long way to go. I appreciate so much the kind and gracious responses that I received last week. We all need real friends to pray and encourage us as we all walk by faith, and I am blessed to know of your love and concern. When a local pastor learned of my recent availability, he invited me to be in his pulpit. Thank you, Randy, what a great blessing to once again be with the wonderful people of the Wesley Community Church. I am also privileged to be preaching in our home church, Friendship Baptist Church in the Craig Springs community near Sturgis, on this upcoming Sunday during both services..
 
Thank you for praying for us in this new journey of faith - God bless you!
 
Originally emailed on July 29, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment